Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Heaven and Hell for me (Final Paper 1)

For so long, I have been thinking of what object to present in class that would best reflect my own understanding of Heaven and Hell. I have tried making paintings and drawings to relate it to something, but it didn’t work. I’ve attempted to even look for a song, but still none satisfied me. So I decided to begin everything by describing first what I believed Heaven and Hell looks like and start asking myself if it’s possible to experience Heaven or Hell here on earth while I am still alive. And the only resource that I found best, and capable of answering all my questions is not the Internet, nor any written articles or even human-inspired books, nothing but the BIBLE.

I believed that the Bible is the only unwavering source of what the Heaven and Hell look like. This book is not just written by ordinary authors. Moreover, it has been divinely inspired by God and the Holy Spirit.Believe it or not, through the Bible, we can describe every little detail of the real Heaven and Hell.

Yes, variety of authors like Dante Alighieri, Plato, Sartre, William Blake and the others might write their own description of Heaven and Hell. Why not? There is nothing wrong with that. They are only humans, and humans are free of expressing one’s feelings and experiences in any form (e.g. song, drama, various literary forms)! But those materials will be simply based on their own opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, what is the book considered to be the most selling book of all times? The book that possesses a certain “magic” that never fades throughout every generation? Still, nothing but the BIBLE.
Having studied some of the famous writers’ descriptions of Heaven or Hell, I was honestly fascinated. The ways they give color to every element found in those places were really amazing. But the fascination of mine remains as it is. It never grew nor fades. Simply because of a certain reason, I have had since I was a kid that foundation of the Heaven and Hell according to the Bible. No matter how many explanations laid out to me, the knowledge instilled to me will remain forever.

Having said all that let me define what Heaven is based on my knowledge about the Bible. Heaven!! The very word whispers peace to my soul. This word as elucidated by the Bible promises us peace, everlasting joy, and fellowship with other believers. GOD himself was the builder and maker of this place. It contains mansions solely prepared for his children (John 14:2). The whole place was furnished with gold, up to the walls down to the floors, there is gold every where. It is deemed to have 12 gates, and each of these is made of pearls. These gates will never be shut at any time for there is no night up there. Everything is wonderful; everythin is made to bring glory and honour to the King. Knowing how wonderful Heaven is, the question will be “Who shall inhabit the Heaven only?” The Bible again shows us that only those who are saved, people who have confessed their sins and accepted Christ as their Personal Saviour, are allowed to walk in the light of Heaven.

Above all the magnificence of Heaven, Hell was given color in the Bible as well. Hell is a complete opposite of Heaven. People who did not confess their sins and accept Christ as their Personal Saviour are the ones doomed in Hell. The whole place was covered with darkness, and surrounded not with gold but with a furnace of fire. (Matthew 13:42) Despite of the furnace, there will be no water to sooth the thirst of anyone. Continuous wailing and gnashing of teeth – suffering are prevalent. And immortal creatures which will augment the sufferring and will never die will be on every corner. The torment in Hell is apparently for all eternity, it will never cease.

All these are the things I have believed about Heaven and Hell. These things primarily can only be found and understood with deep appreciation of the Bible. Again, I chose this book simply because this is the only reliable source of what the real Heaven and Hell for me. And nothing or no one can ever be compared to the bliss of the real Heaven and the misery of Hell.

No comments: